Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

3 April 2016

How to make digital calipers

Run, Forrest, Run!

There are callipers and then then there are calipers. The ones I'm interested in today are of the digital variety and used to measure things. Specifically, I want some digital calipers to help me get the thickness right for the top and bottom of my up-coming archtop guitar build project. The idea is that I can use my new tool to measure the thickness of the wood, thereby removing yet one more excuse for me buggering it all up.


Let's backtrack a little bit. This digital caliper project has been on the boil for quite some time. Remember when I made the c-clamps recently? I talked about how I thought that the comb joints I was using for the clamps would work perfectly for a digital caliper. And indeed it did. What I might not have told you at the time was that I cut the wood for the caliper project at the same time that I cut the wood for the clamp project. Crafty eh! Ha ha.

28 March 2016

I've started, so I'll finish

The attentive amongst you will have no doubt realised that I am on a mission to build a small-bodied archtop guitar. Note to self: I really need to give this project a better name.

There are about a million things that I'm going to have to master if I'm going to pull this off. It's all in the preparation. I'm not usually not one for trial runs, but I'm absolutely certain that I'm not going to nail everything first time round.

One thing that has been a bit of a mystery to me ever since I began Lutherie has been finishing. I really need to understand more about this before I have to do it in anger on the Archtop. Today's post is a sort of round-up of where I am in the process.


I hinted yesterday that I was in the middle of ruining by new mandolin. Here's what I was talking about. In an attempt to sort out the scratches and scuffs on the back of the Eros, I decided to re-lacquer. This photo shows me sanding it back down again for the 19th time.

I can do sanding, no bother. The bit that I struggle with is knowing what lacquer to use and how to get the best out of it. Enter Z-Poxy Finishing Resin in my latest experiment.