Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

3 October 2010

Dead Beyond The Fence (2010)

I'm getting through books like nobody's business at the moment. Maybe it's my new glasses. Dead Beyond the Fence by Brian Kaufman has just taken me two days to polish off. Granted, it's not the thickest of reads, but credit to Brian, I couldn't put the damn thing down!

There are a lot of things right with this book. I really liked the characters and the steady flow of the story. It's a believable tale with all the twists and turns I had been hoping for. You get a little bit of the zombie folklaw, but thankfully Brian doesn't over do it. For me the real success of this tale lies in the fact that it is more about the living than the undead. Don't get me wrong though... there are plenty of undead!

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me was the ending. It happened about three quarters of the way through the book. What! I couldn't believe it. I was just warming up and it was all over. Nooooo!

Thankfully, Brian hadn't finished and a couple of pages later he begins a 'what happened next' novella. Part 2 is every bit as good as Part 1.

So what's wrong with the book?

Well, my biggest complaint is that it is just too short. I want more! Also, having got to know the characters as well as I have, I'm absolutely certain that the story didn't end the way Brian says it did. Sorry Brian, but I don't believe you... You're just trying to get out of writing Part 3! For God's sake... at least tell me what was locked in that room back at the research facility! Damn you to Hell and back Kaufman!

And the scores on the doors? Well, I give it a shambling 8. Go buy it!

2 comments:

  1. Those who know Brian K have been damning him to Hell for years. Here's hoping he listens to you, 'cause he sure doesn't listen to us. haha

    Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! Yeah, there I go again - shooting my mouth off. No wonder I've got no friends... Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete