Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

25 November 2010

The Invasion (2007)

Invasion is the latest film version of Jack Finney's Invasion of The Body Snatchers. By my count, that makes it the fourth attempt. The main twist with this version is that we're talking about an alien infection rather than full-on body snatching. And this isn't 'bad' infection of the rotting zombie kind. Oh no! This is 'good' infection; The sort that will have you drinking tea and watching Songs of Praise. Whilst not my first choice, I could think of worse ways to go.

I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to take Invasion seriously. The baddies have all the menace of those religious people who stop you on the street to give you leaflets. In fact, with their odd smiles, funky suits and comb-overs, I'm suspicious that this is where the film makers got their inspiration from. Hell, they've even got American accents! It's all starting to come together!

As you can no doubt tell - I'm not overly in love with this film. Despite attempts to inject a little drama with car chases and the like, the end result falls flat. Don't get me wrong though, it's still watchable in a made-for-TV way.

I was surprised to see James Bond (Daniel Craig) and Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) paired up in this film. Sadly they don't have a great deal to do and whilst Jeffrey can save the world, he can't save this film.

Off at a tangent... It looks from the timelines that Invasion was made before Quantum of Solace... so someone obviously saw enough potential in Danny and Jeff to get them back together again. I'm glad they did, but I'm not sure I would have done it based upon their performances here. I guess it does illustrate the difference a good script can make!

Praise-the-Lord!

I give Invasion a Mormon 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment