Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

16 November 2010

Not Abba (2005)

I really wanted to enjoy this book. It claims to be 'the real story of 1970s'. And for God's sake, the front cover has a photo of a young man with a safety pin through his nose! How could it possibly fail to thrill and excite?

Don't ask...

Oh go on then...

Boy, does Dave Haslam likes to spin things out. He rambles and repeats himself ad nauseum. If something can be said in a couple of words, Davey-boy will use a couple of paragraphs and then round it off with a roundabout summary. It had me wondering if he was being paid by the word.

The book is about more than just music, but I was hoping for a lot more music history than I got. What I did read didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already know. And as for the non-music content: There were lots of instances where I felt that Dave was simply quoting paper headlines of the day. I would have liked him to have added a bit more value than he did.

I've been trying to put my finger on what depressed me most about this book and I think it is simply that it's a depressing book. Dave doesn't seem to have a humourous bone in his body. Where is the Bloody humour Dave? You had a whole decade to work with! There must have been something in there that tickled you!

Apparently not.

I don't really want to waste any more time moaning about this book. I know I was only a nipper at the time, but this version of the 70s doesn't tie up with mine. The people he interviews aren't representative of people I knew. If you're looking for a fun insight into an interesting period in popular music, I'm afraid that you'll have look elsewhere. On the bright side, I do like the cover!

On the Triple-B scale I give Not Abba a soleless 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment