Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

8 February 2011

Dreamcatcher (2003)

I can't even remember buying the Dreamcatcher DVD. Maybe I didn't buy it. Maybe it just appeared. Hoo ha ha ha haaah!

Whatever happened, it's been sitting on my shelf for a long, long time. I'm talking years. I've almost watched it a couple of times, but each time the Mrs has made me put it back. Well, it does look a bit scary if you base your decision on the cover alone. But trust me... It's not scary!

Dreamcatcher plots the story of four friends on their annual pilgrimage up into the snow-filled pine forests of somewhere north of Massechusetts. It's the guys' 20th trip and you just know that it's going to be a bad one. The film reminded me a lot of an X-Files type of story, you know, the quirky one that they used to chuck in every now and again.

Dreamcatcher is certainly quirky. It's got everything... from an almost mystical 'Retard' called Duddits through to penis-like alien creatures called Weasels with row upon row of sideways shark teeth. There's infection. There's the crazy 'Blue' army elite-force that wants to kill everyone. There's telepathy and other supernatural shenanigans. There's flatulence and toilet humour. It's amazing that they managed to fit it all into one film. But credit to them... they did!

The story is all based upon the Stephen King novel of the same name and as weird as it is, it does have a plot that kind of makes sense. I couldn't even begin to explain all the ins and outs, but at the heart of it all is Duddits, the aforementioned lovable 'Retard'. Having saved him from a turd-eating experience at the hands of local bullies, our four heroes are eventually rewarded with special powers which may just help them to prevent an alien invasion. Only, of course, they don't know this. And that's all I'm going to tell you on that front. Watch it yourself!

Just like Dead Snow I instantly fell in love with the scenery. The forest shots are fantastic... and when the snow starts to fall... estupendo! No outhouse fun this time though!

The acting's good. Aside from Morgan Freeman, I kind of only recognised one of the other actors, but they all do the business. And whilst I wouldn't call this film a Horror, there are horror elements. You have some real gory bits. It's mainly fun though, in a similar vein to Dead Alive which I reviewed a couple of weeks back.

Perhaps the most memorable scene for me was where the animals in the forest are shipping out. Spooky!

All in all, I enjoyed the film. My final verdict is a Triple-B Double-S Double-D 6. And if that makes any sense to you then this film is probably right up your street! Borrow it!

No comments:

Post a Comment