Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

28 February 2011

Fido (2006)

Just when I think that I've seen everything, the Canadians come up with a film called Fido. Can you imagine Billy Connolly as a zombie? Well, imagine no more...

Scottish Zombies?
FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

Fido is set in the 40s after the Zombie Wars! Some strange infection has befallen the world and the dead have risen. Thanks to 'Zomcom' the survivors live their cleaner than clean period-perfect lives in relative safety behind zombie-proof fences. In this version of the 40s, the height of social sophistication is to own your own 'tame' zombie. Enter Billy... or Fido, as we come to know him... as the star of the show! This is the first zombie I've ever heard moan in Scotch! Ha ha!

Poor old Mrs Henderson
FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

[Update: Just realised that I never actually tell you anything about the film plot in this review. As if it really matters! Anyhoo.... Boy has no friends. Dad is useless. Mother is lonely. Mother buys Zombie. Boy loves Zombie. Dad hates Zombie. Mother learns to like Zombie. Guess the rest yourself.]

And I thought Pamela was the only dancer in the family
FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

And another thing...

I don't know if this has been done before, but I think I just witnessed my first zombie-human kiss! Dang, if that doesn't take the biscuit!

Time for a true story...

A work colleague of my wife's went to see Spongebob Squarepant the Movie. 'Did you like it?' asks the Mrs. 'No,' came the reply. 'It was a bit far-fetched.' Oh, how we laughed!

Many mistakes can be hidden with fire...
FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

I was in danger of making the very same mistake whilst watching this film; I know it's a zombie film, but you really have to take a flight of fancy with Fido... and then some. And here's something I'd never considered before: When the zombie apocalypse happens, are old people just an accident waiting to happen?

Everything is done in the name of quirky comedy, but I couldn't help but feel at times that things were all a little confused. The film itself is a sort of cross between Lassie-with-zombies and the Truman Show... with just a teeny-tiny drop of Starship Troopers topped off with a dash of Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman. Or at least, that's how it felt at the time.

"Not the teeth Tammy!"
FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

I was looking for something lite to watch tonight, and it delivered on that front, so I'm not disappointed. I can't say that it's my favouritest film, but it's definitely worth a watch... but perhaps only the one?

On the Triple-B, I give it a B-B-Gun 6.

FIDO, Lionsgate 2006

Warning: Whatever you do, don't read the blurb on the DVD cover! Ahhhhgh! Don't get me started on that again!


2 comments:

  1. Great review. I like the way you think. Personally, I think this movie has all the right things going for it. Amazing cast, great cinematography, unique premises and lots of laughs. I think it's great to see a zombie-apocalypse movie where humanity is improved as a result. What would you do with your own zombie servant? I'd get him to fold laundry. I have laundry.

    I also got the chance to review this movie on my Horror Movie Review blog. Take a look if you get a chance, I can always use some feedback from another critic.

    http://horrormoviemedication.blogspot.com/2013/03/fido-zombie-is-mans-best-friend.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Horror Movie Medication. I see that this is one of my cheekier reviews. Agree with your comments about the rating for this film. It's not going to scare the pants off you... a good introduction to the zombie genre for the uninitiated!

    ReplyDelete