Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

24 February 2011

Versus (2000)

Where on Earth do I begin with this one?

Versus is a mystical, sword-fighting, zombie extravaganza. It's Japanese, complete with subtitles, but let's face it, even if it had been in English, I'm not convinced that I'd be sure what it is all about.

The film starts in a forest, with two convicts we assume have escaped from prison. They meet up with a group of crazy gangsters and procede to foil a hostage handover. And that's when the zombies appear and things really start to get weird.

At first, I felt like I could have been watching a stylish sort of Pulp Fiction... only set in the Woods with Japanese dudes. These are stylish nutters with lots of posturing with guns and shouting! Satifyingly, they can do hand-to-hand too, and it soon degenerates into Kung-Fu blood and guts.

One guy in particular made a big impression on me as the supposed 'leader' of the baddies. It turns out he isn't the leader, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. I don't know what it was about him, but as the film progressed, he reminded me more and more of a Japanese Jarvis Cocker... even when he started climbing trees and acting like an animal. Yep... you heard me right!

But if you haven't already guessed it, Versus is also a comedy. There are some good comedic moments; Most of them coming from the main Police officer. Oh, I didn't mention him did I... Amongst other things we learn that he has 500 times the reaction time of 'Mike Twyson'. I don't know whose suit he's wearing, or where he gets his hair cut... but don't worry... these facts aren't vital to the story.

Oh, don't make me explain it! It makes no sense at all!

I've just been watching some of the extras on the DVD and the cast are as crazy as the characters. I just saw them gluing the star's tooth back in so that they could continue with filming! And no, the plot still doesn't make much more sense to me...

I'm not going to say anything more about it.

On the Triple-B, I'm giving Versus a Kung-Fu 5. You've got to give it a watch... but only the one... Hi-yah! And yeah, the stars convinced the Director to let them do some of the scenes with real knives! Hi-yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment