Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

16 March 2011

Let The Right One In (2008)

I liked this film so much that I bought it twice! You can almost hear Victor Kiam saying it. Actually, I bought it twice because I'd forgotten that I'd bought it once. Oh dear.

Let The Right One In is a Swedish film based upon the John Ajvide Lindqvist novel Låt Den Rätte Komma In. Don't ask me what that means in English... Ha ha... Just playing with you!

I mentioned this book sometime last year and gave it a ear-cracking 8 on the Triple-B. It's a reet good read when all's said and done. Unusually for me, the story revolves around a vampire, but I think that there is a real art to John's storytelling that breathes new life into the subject. If you haven't already done it... go buy the book and find out for yourself.

I really didn't know what to expect from the film. I mean, could it live up to the book? I'd kind of twigged that people liked it, and that there was an American version that people also liked. I've no interest in watching the American version, but tonight Matthew, I did sit down and watch the original, complete with subtitles.

It wasn't at all what I was expecting. The first thing that struck me was that it kind of strolls along. There's an almost lazy flow to the film that is surprisingly engaging. I kept expecting myself to lose patience, but I didn't; It kept me interested right through to the end. As far as the screenplay goes... it's pretty true to the book. Obviously you get far more explanation and detail in the book, but 87.6% of the main twists are there.

What is refreshing is that here we have a horror film that doesn't have to rely upon cheap scares and over-the-top effects to get its message across. It's really well put together and most things are done in a very subtle and understated way. But of course, there are also some horrible bits too! It does help that the acting is great - especially the two child stars. And it doesn't hurt that it's set in the winter... you know what a sucker I am for snowy films!

One last thing: I think that I used to have a knife just like Oskar's when I was a kid. I'm sure it had the same sheath! I might even have got it in Sweden! Bloody Hell! I must be a vampire!

Talking of vampires. I did like the various attack scenes. The bit where it drops onto the woman is a doozie! It reminded me of those jumping spiders. And what about when it's climbing up the hospital wall! Great stuff!

On the Triple-B, I'm going scare the cats with an infected 7. The film's not as good as the book, but because I say you can.... you're going to go out and buy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment