Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

15 May 2011

Avalon (1982)

This week I have mostly been listening to...


Roxy Music

Yeah... I know... déjà vu.... but I'm still listening to the trembly-voiced Lothario that is Bryan Ferry. You will remember that I was waxing lyrical about some Roxy Music singles I'd bought the other week. Well, I've gone and done it again. Only this time, I bought the vinyl of Avalon: the album that was released by the boys in 1982. And get this: It only cost me 50p. Woaahhh... you know how much I love a bargain!

First impressions of the sleeve had me thinking Kate Bush with it's sort of mystical warrior with hornéd helmet and hawk on arm. But mercifully, save some spacey backing vocals on tracks like Avalon, the Kate Bush influence stops right there!

One thing that really impresses me about the songs on this album is the flawless mixing. The songs sound great. Everything has its place and is clean and clear. And the musicianship is spot on; I've particularly been enjoying the understated bass. Okay, not all the songs are brilliant, but a lot of them are well above average.

This is a classic.

If I had to recommend one song it would be...


To Turn You On

This is a sad one. If I wasn't so f***ing hard, It would make me cry. It's got a bit of everything in it. Granted, it starts off a bit 80s with the synth, but when the guitar kicks in, it lifts. And by the time the vocals begin we're soaring! Lovely! Look out for the ending which blows like tumbleweeds across the prairie. This is a song I can guarantee you'll want to listen to again and again.

Wow! Reading that back, even I'm wanting to go and listen to it...

And the lyrics are great. Thinking about it... You know what? You can stick your bloody Snow Patrol. Bin you Doves and burn your Oasis. If you want a lesson in lyric writing then look no further than Roxy Music. So there!

On the Triple-B I'm going to put on a dark suit and stick exactly 8 hairs out of place... and I'll still look better than you!


As an aside: I've also bought some of Bryan's solo work and it really isn't in the same league as his Roxy Music stuff. One thing that did make me smile is that he gives a credit to his hair stylist on the back of 'These Foolish Things'. I wonder if that was Bryan's idea? Bet it was. Unfortunately for him, he looks like a ringer for the Fonz on the front. Just in case you can't recall.... here's a picture of Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli...

No comments:

Post a Comment