Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

24 May 2011

The Host (2006)

I think that I might be addicted to the Warriors. There, I've got it out in the open. Time to move on...

Tonight I watched a Korean film by the name of 'The Host' which almost defies description, but you know what, I'm going to give it a go!

The basic premise is simple enough: Chemicals released into the Han river result in a huge mutant amphibious creature. The creature kidnaps a young girl and the rest of the film revolves around the girl's disfunctional family and their attempts to rescue her. Hey, I think I've just about got the gist of it there!

Straight off the bat I'm going to come clean and say that I've no idea why the film is called 'the Host'. It put in my mind the idea of perhaps some sort of parasytic theme like in Aliens, but there's nothing remotely like that going on here. Perhaps it's just a Korean-to-English translation glitch? I dunno.

Back to the huge mutant amphibous creature...

The thing about fantastic monsters in films is that they seldom are that fantastic. It seems to be a very easy thing to get wrong. Thankfully, this is not the case with the Host. The beast is revealed to us fairly early on and though my first instinct was to be critical of the special effects - some of it is a bit shoddy - I found the creature to be pretty good. What I don't understand is how it got to be the size it did without anyone noticing. A question for another day...

We mustn't get too hung up about the monster. This film isn't really about the monster. The stars of the show are the Park family and the script does a wonderful job of helping us to get to know them... to laugh at them... to laugh with them... and ultimately, to cheer them on. All of the actors do a great job. I'm still chuckling to myself at the distraught scene where they first all come together writhing on the floor in grief after the girl (Hyun-seo) is taken, presumed dead. That sounds a bit odd doesn't it... watch it and you'll see what I mean.

There's a lot of humour in this film. It's one of those things that just seems to work. Actually, there's lots of other things in this film that just seem to work. It's a credit to the film makers. Over all, I found this an enjoyable diversion.

I'm going to wrap this up now, and sorry, but I'm going to end on a sour note...

The ending is not what I wanted at all! I get it... I just don't like it. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

On the Triple-B, I'm going to warm up a squid for dinner and eat 6 legs all by myself. You're really going to want to watch this film, but maybe only the once...

No comments:

Post a Comment