Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

9 June 2011

Dance of the Dead (2008)

You can pretty much guarantee that films ending in 'of the Dead' are going to have zombies in them. Dance of the Dead does not disappoint on this front.

You can also be pretty certain that any American teenage comedy is going to revolve around a Prom, Jocks, Geeks and Cheerleaders. Dance of the Dead delivers on all counts! Yee-Haw!

Oh dear... I was shaking my head when this one started up. What on Earth was I thinking when I bought this DVD? Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds: I found myself warming to the film as it progressed.

Before we talk about the film though: What is it with cheerleaders? Do they really exist? Has anyone ever met a real life cheerleader? I don't think so! Don't get me wrong... they're a great idea... but so are Aliens. I've never met one of them either!

The plot is simple enough...

American highschool kids get all excited about the end of year Prom. The geeks can't get a date. The hero falls out with his girlfriend. The teachers are stoopid. And all the while the local nuclear plant is pumping out some strange goop that is bringing the dead back to life in the nearby cemetary. Then Prom-night arrives and the town is over-run with zombies. Can a rag-bag band of teenage misfits overcome all the odds to survive... and then kill all the zombies? Will the nasty teachers get their cummupance? Will the geeks get a date? Does the hero make up with his girlfriend?

What do you think?

Yeah, this is predictable... It's by the numbers. And while it's got its moments, unless you're the same age as the stars, you will have seen it all before. That said, the story does flow nicely and there are a few amusing situations along the way.

My favourite was when they barracaded themselves in that big ole house only to realise some time later that in fact it's a funeral parlour. Doh! Yep, that would have been me! Only I would have got bitten!

And keep an eye out for Kyle. See if you can dig up his YouTube video "Backyard Wrestling". It's an extra on the DVD. You won't be disappointed.

So to round off: The acting is okay; The zombies are rubber and they come apart pretty easily; There's blood everywhere; And you're constantly wondering how the teens managed to get out of that latest scrape unscathed.

On the Triple-B I'm going to party 'arty with 5 lithe cheerleaders. Hell Yeah! And if they're lucky, I might even get my ukulele out! But only the once...

No comments:

Post a Comment