Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

15 June 2012

My New Kindle Touch

I’ve previously shared my views with you on Kindles. I wrote a whole post on the merits of the device in January 2011. Don’t tell me that you can’t remember! I wanted to convince myself that I should get one but I failed miserably.

Someone please explain to me why I would want to buy a Kindle...

Well it’s a year and a half later and I’ve only gone and bought myself one! What on Earth could have changed? Let’s see if I can figure it out...

Let’s begin with the fact that I really, really wanted a super-fantastic dedicated eReading device... and I wasn’t really that fussed about the brand. My heart was on having a colour one. I even picked out the one I wanted; For the briefest period I had intense cravings for Nook. I almost bought one and had it shipped over from the US. Whilst I pondered this monumental decision I took the time to borrow my daughter’s Android tablet and tried reading a book on it. I’m so glad I did because it was truly rubbish! The tablet was heavy and the battery was practically always flat. The main problem however was that the screen was way too reflective. In short the whole experience was absolute pants! I actually gave up on my eReading aspirations figuring that the world just wasn’t ready for me.

I love this! This is about it in terms of paper documentation that arrives
with the Kindle. There is further digital documentation on the Kindle.

Enter the Kindle Touch, the latest of the Kindle black and white devices. Here are the features:

  • Most-advanced E Ink display, now with multi-touch
  • Reads like real paper, even in bright sunlight
  • Built in Wi-Fi - get books in 60 seconds
  • Sleek design - Only 213 grams, holds up to 3,000 books
  • EasyReach touch technology lets you read easily with one hand
  • New X-Ray feature lets you look up characters, historical figures, and interesting phrases.
  • Text-to-speech, audiobooks and mp3 support
  • Up to two month battery life

I found myself wondering that maybe, just maybe, the Kindle Touch was going to be an acceptable interim device whilst technology catches up with my super-high expectations. I was prepared to give it a shot and so I bought one! Wahay! And I’ve been reading ever since!

But how does it actually rate?

The first thing I’m going to say is that Amazon are truly masters of getting their stock shipped. I picked the cheapest option and it was literally a matter of days before the thing arrived... about half a week earlier than projected. Top form Amazon!

The Kindle Touch
[Picture not to scale]

Opening the box had me sweating a bit. The Kindle Touch is tiny! It was a lot smaller than I expected it to be. I’ve taken to reading it in landscape mode which is working out just fine. Actually, having used it now for a week or so, I’m thinking that the size is probably just about right. The bigger consideration is the weight and whilst I’ll always like it to be lighter, it’s pretty bloody light already!

I don’t like the user interface; It just feels clunky and I’m not finding it very intuitive. I like the touch-screen navigation through reading material, but the menu system is a bit of a maze and quite frankly it’s ugly. You know how I have an eye for beautiful things :-)

I went for the WIFI version and have been using the Amazon email service to stick books onto the Kindle. It has worked fine so far. I haven’t bought anything from Amazon yet but I reckon that it’s only a matter of time. First I’ll no doubt do what every other newbie does and check out the free public domain books that are on offer on Amazon and other internet sites. I can’t see myself using the blog subscription service, or newspapers, but you never know.

I haven't tried all of these formats, but this is what Amazon says the Kindle Personal Documents Service supports: Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX); HTML (.HTML, .HTM); RTF (.RTF); JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG); Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW); GIF (.GIF); PNG (.PNG); BMP (.BMP); PDF (.PDF)

Wouldn't it be great if I could get uke tabs and
lyrics onto my Kindle? If only I knew how.

One thing that I’ve been keen to learn is how to stick my uke tabs and lyrics onto the Kindle. I haven’t figured out an easy way of doing this yet. Drop me a comment if you know how to do this sort of magic.

Whilst I can see the potential for all sorts of Kindle-related posts coming up, I’m going to keep it short and sweet for now. Time for a rating.

On the Triple-B I’m going to lift my spirits by reading 8 books about the Apocalypse. Expect a review on the first very soon... and it’s a cracker!

No comments:

Post a Comment