Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

29 July 2012

Kingcaster - Sneak Peak

I quite literally had a million requests asking for more information about how my Kingcaster electric ukulele sounds. Email traffic alone almost brought the servers down! So, in the interests of pacifying the angry mob, I've put together a very quick demo for you... a sneak peak... so to speak. Beautiful!

Kingcaster Ukuleles: Only available in Space!

Now, don't be fooled into thinking that I've finished tinkering or that I that I won't write at least one more post on this subject; I've got a slight buzzing on two of the open strings that I want to fix and I feel the need to experiment with a slightly different positioning of the strings in the nut. Oh yeah, and I have to play around with the bridge and pickup height, and probably a heap of other things that I haven't even thought of yet.

And of course, I also want to do a proper sound check and reflect on the whole experience... and maybe even look ahead to my next project! It would be a shame to stop here, wouldn't it?

Here's a picture of the guitar that was the inspiration for my Kingcaster electric ukulele
build side-by-side with the finished ukulele. Can you spot the family resemblance?
The guitar started out as an all black Hohnor Arbor Series Strat. My skills have
developed some what since that early project.

For those who have stumbled across this post and are wondering how I ended up here, below are a few links to the story. It all started with an idea...


And here's the sneak peak video for you...


Update 18-Sep-12: Here's an addition to complete the scrapbook. I took the time to transcribe what I played in the video above for someone and then subsequently 'lost' it. Well, I found it again! It should give you enough of a hint as to what to do...


6 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool little instrument,King.
    But I want to see you play the
    Mark VIII,now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done!
    http://theukuleleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/duelin-ukes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you tell us what kind of parts you used (ex woods for body neck and fret board. and also what company hardwae ex. pick up. thsnks really awesome tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this info is better covered in the posts, but here, let me see if I can remember for you...

    "can you tell us what kind of parts you used (ex woods for body neck and fret board"

    Body = Poplar
    Neck = Maple
    Fretboard = Ebony

    "and also what company hardwae ex. pick up."

    Pickup = guitar Hotrails - don't think that they were branded

    All of the electrics/screws etc were guitar ones

    Glad you're liking the tutorial! Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  5. and what strings did you use? bridge? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dave!

    "and what strings did you use?"

    Standard guitar strings - Check out this post for details - http://theukuleleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/how-to-tune-electric-ukulele.html

    "bridge?"

    It was a custom-made bridge. It was gifted to me by Julian Davies of Electric Ukulele Land (http://ukeland.co.uk/). I have no idea where he got it from, but it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete