Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

28 October 2012

Just Enough Education to Perform (2001)

This week I have mostly been listening to...

The Stereophonics

I've been a fan of Welsh rockers Stereophonics for a long time. I remember them winning the Best Breakthrough Act award at the BRIT awards in 98 and Kelly Jones saying something along the lines of "about f*cking time!" as he snatched the trophy. It was a landmark moment and they've gone from success to success.

"Thank you" - paphotos.co.uk

I've listened to the band on and off since then. About a month ago I picked up a CD copy of their 2001 album Just Enough Education to Perform from a British Red Cross shop. This album was re-released in 2002 with the addition of Gladrags and Handbags and a 'secret' last track. The version I have is the original 'enhanced' CD which has some video content. I haven't bothered with any of that... I've just been listening to the audio... and what fine audio it is too!

Stereophonics - Just Enough Education to Perform (1998)

If I had to pick one track it would be...

Every Day I Think of Money

This really is a hard one. I wanted to pick Vegas Two Times with its acapella turns Motorhead/Bolan crunch. I also considered the sublime Mr Writer. Some songs have such a distinctive sound that they transport to to your magic place every time. Mr Writer does that for me. The video is also well worth tracking down for that song. I really, really considered Rooftop for a while. This is the sort of song that epitomizes the Stereophonics for me with Kelly's croaky vocals and a moody throwback sound. If you haven't listened to the band before then I guess I'd maybe pitch them as being somewhere between the Manic Street Preachers and a circa 70s Rod Stewart. Listen to the stunning Watch the Fly Sundays and you'll get the drift.

"Every Day I think of Money"
Sex Pistols - No one is Innocent

In the end I opted for Every Day I Think of Money. What a beautifully evocative song. I love the lyrics. I must have heard this 20 times before I properly listened to it and heard the message. How many people around the world have thought of taking the money and making a run for it? Listen to this mournful ballad as a warning to us all. No good can come from obsessing over money! I could be wrong, but I don't think that this song ever made it onto any other CD other than this album. That's one good reason for getting your hands on it!

On the Triple-B I'm going to slip 8 bags of cash into my boot and damn the consequences. Catch me if you can!


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of them...but soon as I saw the two words 'Rod' and 'Stewart' mentioned in relation to them,you killed my interest
    straight away.-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I'm not a fan of Rod the Mod either. However, I was referring more to the music of that era. I'm not sure these guys will be to your tastes Daz... but given them a listen before you make your mind up... you never know!

    ReplyDelete