Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

24 October 2012

RoboGeisha (2009)

I've just finished watching RoboGeisha and you know what... it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be! I think I'm starting to get a bit of a taste for Japanese films!

Plucking Hell! RoboGeisha!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

RoboGeisha is that classic tale of bickering sibling sisters who get ensnared in an evil plot to destroy Japan. One sister thinks that Geisha is her passport to happiness. The other isn't so sure. It doesn't really matter because they're soon taken prisoner by the dastardly Kangeno family and turned into robot assassins. Can the troublesome twosome overcome their differences and defeat their cruel overlords to save Japan? Watch this film to find out!

I didn't understand the significance of this shot of Buddah... but I loved it!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

I'll admit that I'm not that up on Geisha. According to the internet: "Geisha (芸者), geiko (芸子) or geigi (芸妓) are traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music, dance and games." So there you have it... it's nothing to do with sex after all.

Wallpaper
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

I knew I was in for some craziness with this film and sure enough it kicks off straight away with the arrival of the Tenguns. These cunning villains really looked the business in their long-nosed masks. Would you believe me if I was to tell you that their special move is to squirt boiling "double" milk from their breast attachments? Wow! What would you say to them shooting death stars out of their arses! Ha ha. I can honestly say that I didn't see that one coming! Brilliant!

Tengun!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

As you might have expected, there's a little bit of sexy naughtiness going on here, but really, there's not that much. Yep, there are a few pantie-shots, but I reckon that it could have been a whole lot more extreme! The main focus of the film is actually spent building up a credible relationship between the two sisters. Everything pretty much revolves around them. Oh yeah, and there's the robot thing.

Sisters... and Bros too!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

The stars of the show are Hitomi Hasebe as elder Geisha Kikue Kasuga and Aya Kiguchi as the younger but deadly Yoshie Kasuga. The lovely RoboGeishas are every inch the match for the debonair Kageno Jr (played by Takumi Saitô) and Kageno Snr. I don't know who any of these fine actors are... but I'd like to...

Promo Poster
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

The humour is zany and you are never too far away from a scene with some outrageous special effect, like a breast machine-gun or expert arse-sword fighting. There's loads of CGI, but what else would you expect? Even the buildings bleed! I didn't have a problem with any of the madness. Films like this demand it!

I loved the music. It borrows from the bond films of the 70s. I spotted the steals from Live and Let Die, but really I think that there was a more general homage being paid to the Blaxploitation films of that era. Saying all this though, the plot does follow the James Bond template pretty closely... with a little bit of added Castle Monster. Don't tell me that you don't know what a Castle Monster is!

Castle Monster!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

What didn't I like?

It seems a shame to end on a downer, but bear with me... there's no need to get suicidal here. I felt that parts of the film dragged on a little bit (especially towards the end). Some of the scenes could have done with a faster pace. It's not fatal, but it could have been better.

This is exactly what you think it is!
RoboGeisha, Cine Asia Extreme 2009

RoboGeisha was directed by Noboru Iguchi and Tsuyoshi Kazuno with special effects by Yoshihiro Nishimura. I see that they collaborated on The Machine Girl (2008) and I feel a strong urge to hunt that down. Yoshihiro Nishimura also worked on Tokyo Gore Police which I have heard of, but again, I haven't seen. I can see myself getting sucked in here. Must... be... strong...

Right... On the Triple-B I'm going to stick 7 shrimps in each of your eyes. This could get very messy. Buy this DVD!


3 comments:

  1. RE:
    "According to the internet: "Geisha (芸者), geiko (芸子) or geigi (芸妓) are traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music,dance and games."

    But the classical music,dance and games they were referring to in the above article was the Japanese clothes-less chicken pole dance and naked Twister.-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about this film...I had forgotten about it,and for reminding me about a zombie post that I had planned for you on my blog.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "chicken pole dance" sounds interesting... but not as interesting as "a zombie post that I had planned for you on my blog". I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete