Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

28 December 2012

Happy Bloody New Year! (2012)

My blogging buddy Darren laid down the gauntlet for me to write an original New Year song this week. I've only gone and done it!

Yes... that's exactly what you think it is...

I didn't have any time for second takes or to add much in the way of layers. The music and lyrics came to me this morning and after a trip out to the take the kids swimming, I put it all together. Tada! Apart from the singing (which I never like), I'm pretty happy with it. You can hear one uke, one acoustic guitar, one electric guitar and a bass. Oh yeah... and don't forget that godawful singing! Ha ha...

Have a Happy Bloody New Year everybody! Be safe!


Happy Bloody New Year!

I'm glad that the Mayans were wrong
I'm so glad that the Mayans were wrong
They said the world would end and we'd all be bloody dead
Oh, I'm glad that the Mayans were wrong

I'm glad that you made me sing this song
I'm so glad that you made me sing this song
I've sung you one before and I'm sure I'll sing you more
Oh, I'm glad that you made me sing this song

I'm glad that this year is finally done
I'm so glad that this year is finally done
It's done nothing here but rain and I want sunshine back again
Oh, I'm glad that this year is finally done

I'm glad I can call you a friend
I'm so glad that I can call you a friend
We've laughed until we cried. Let us drink a toast tonight
I'm so glad I can call you a friend

Notes

I love to see how the creative process unravels - it can sometimes be a great insight. These are a bit of a mess, but here are the notes I took whilst recording. I added the uke tabs just now and that'll be why you can actually read them. Yep - you can see that I was in a bit of a hurry...



Update: 19-Jul-2013: Those horrendous vocals have bugged me for months now. They're not completely fixed, but check out this "better" mix on SoundCloud:



6 comments:

  1. AHOI!!!! mayan word for bless something

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite what I had in mind KU,I wanted one that I could sing every year with drunken mates...and relatives.
    But still a King Uke classic nevertheless.
    I've updated the post as well.-)

    http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/happynew-ears.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to be more specific next time Daz! ;-)
    You can sing this drunk... I'm sure... I'll give it a go soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha.... Ho bisogno di una corona! ;-)

    ReplyDelete