Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

8 January 2013

Skylark Ukulele Artwork

I have this crazy idea to pimp a Skylark ukulele. I'm not really sure what that means just yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of fitting proper machine heads, real frets, reconditioning the body and adding a Yusaku Hanakuma print on the front.

Skylark brothers side-by-side. Top is my 'old' one and bottom the new
kid on the block. I found that felt plucktrum inside - a secret surprise!

I've been trying to get hold of a cheap Skylark for ages for this project and finally secured one sight-unseen over Christmas for £13. Not bad.

The uke arrived yesterday in it's original box! What a bonus! I love the artwork and spent some time last night taking photos and doctoring images from the box just for the sheer fun of it all. This Skylark is a MY107 and looks tidier and a little more angular than my first Skylark. I strung it up last night and had a play... I don't know if I can bring myself to pimp it! I love it as it is! It's got wooden tuning pegs and a different bridge to the first, but is exactly the same size. Hmmm. I haven't got time to do anything with it yet anyway, so plenty of time to ponder this one. For now... we can just enjoy the Skylark artwork...

This is the Skylark MY107 box that I took all of the artwork from

Skylark Artwork #5

Skylark Artwork #3

Skylark Artwork #4

Skylark Artwork #2

Skylark Artwork #1


6 comments:

  1. Oooh, bit late to comment but my primary school Chinese classes have come come back to me!

    Artwork #3 - & 4 金雀牌 is "Golden sparrow brand"

    Artwork #2 & #4 - 小四弦琴 is "little ukulele", or even more literally "small four-stringed musical instrument" :)

    And it looks like they're still making ukuleles, http://www.gzli.com/site1/english/index.asp?CompId=6 and celebrating their 50th anniversary in 1961! http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w11-7486599605.2.U1xrfw&id=18016776785

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anonymous! I can't tell you how happy you've made me with your comment! I want to carry you around the room on my shoulders! Ha ha! This is brilliant information! I'm now the proud owner of 3 Skylark ukes. Isn't the artwork great! I looked and looked and couldn't find any reference to the original company on the internet and lo and behold, you found them! They've even got a tiny picture of the artwork from #3 on one of the pages on that second link. I'm going to have to do a post on this wonderful discovery! I'll take some time to look through the site and see if I can figure it out. Is this what dinosaur hunters feel like when they discover a missing link? Ha ha! You've made my day! Thank you for the translations and links. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, looks like my ability to write in English vanished there for a while - I meant to say 50th anniversary, after starting (?) in 1961.

    Good luck in finding more information! I stumbled onto your blog while trying to find out about Skylarks after receiving one, which looks like it has had a very hard life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one exactly like these. Mine was like your "new one". I got it for my 4th birthday. Loved it and when i wasn't playing it I would stare at the little bird inside wondering how it got inside hole. Beautiful. Wish I still had it. I wonder where it is now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it's gone where all the Skylarks go when they're not wanted... eBay? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi King Uke. I really enjoyed your blog. Funnily enough I just purchased one of these from a charity shop. I have written a little blog about it here :

    http://www.paulmansell.co.uk/#!Charity-shop-find-Skylark-MY-107-Soprano-Ukulele-A-ukulele-or-firewood-/rfb1c/5724eca80cf228a96f175996

    They certainly are funny little things. I really do take my hat off to you for spending the times to totally pimp it up.

    Thanks and kind regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete