Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

16 June 2013

Losing You (2013)

This post is ostensibly about a new song I'm posting for you, but really, I'm just clearing the decks before next weekend. I can't wait for a little bit of down-time with my ukulele brethren at the Ukulele Festival of Great Britain. My bro's going and he's still trying to convince me to get a tattoo. Have no fear... I will not succumb!

Look at this fantastic card I received this morning! I was wondering where that bit of string from my guitar strap had gone. Isn't it brilliant! J-Uke even made me breakfast this morning... shredded wheat, my favourite!

I've called the new song "Losing You". It's unfinished. I wrote on the youtube comments that I got bored with it and gave up, but that's not really true. More accurately, I simply ran out of steam. The creative wave passed me by, so I decided to wrap it up and call it a day.

Do you remember me mentioning that my Wanted EP is available as a Torrent? Look at this... According to MiniNova it has been downloaded 7864 times in 113 different countries! I wonder how many downloads I'll need to make me a millionaire? It looks like I'm big in Columbia. What a perfect follow-up to my Columbian chart-topper "Snow".

I do have some "proper" lyrics but I couldn't get my croaky old voice to hold it together for a complete take. So what you're left with is a demo - I just sing the same thing again and again! This is one of the slowest numbers I can remember recording. Perhaps it is too slow and plodding? It does have a certain charm, but so did the Titanic and look what happened to that.

Anyway... you can make your own mind up...


"Losing You" is played on my Tokyo Ukulele with some acoustic guitar and bass and has a vintage 60s feel to my ear. Someone needs to shoot the bloody singer though ;-)

Does anyone remember this action figure? I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. I had one when I was a boy. The one in this picture was given to my son today along with some Action Man bits and pieces. If I end up getting a tattoo next weekend then it must surely be one like this eagle... on my chest!

Update! I just found out what this action figure is. It was part of the Matchbox "Fighting Furies" which amongst other things craftily combined Samurai with Pirates. I also had the character who had a map hidden in his wooden peg leg! Ha ha - they don't make toys like these anymore!

Oh no, I'm getting side-tracked again!

I just happened to be reading an article on Tokyo Daz's web-blog today which kicked off a few memories for me. Daz's blog "Watching the Sushi Roll by" is a veritable smorgasbord of odd Japanese synchronicity and observations. In "Between the Lines" Daz shares a few pictures of Wellington, New Zealand. Have I ever told you how much I love New Zealand?

This is Daz's picture of his visit to Wellington in 1977. Isn't it brilliant! Look at those cars! One of them looks to be towing a cannon :-S

I have a huge affinity for the Windy City. The image at the top of this blog is based upon a sculpture I saw on a visit to Wellington some 10+ years ago. It is part of what is known as the Writer's Walk. There are other pieces, but this is the one that captured my imagination...

I love this quote. It is from a book called Cousins by Patricia Grace. I haven't read the book, but the quote is great: "I love this city, the hills, the harbour, the wind that blasts through it. I love the life and pulse and activity, and the warm decrepitude. There is always an edge here that one must walk which is sharp and precarious, requiring vigilance."
Photo courtesy of You May Say I'm A Dreamer

It would be remiss of me not to mention another fantastic Wellington institution whilst I'm on the topic. Have you heard of The Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra? You should have. Any bunch of Kiwis who can do such a beautiful rendition of "This Charming Man" by The Smiths is sure to win my vote every single time! Check this out and I defy you to not shed a tear... can't be done... sniffle...


After that, I was going to say that the following picture might cheer you up, but actually, it is quite sad. I spotted it on a little walk with the family today...

"Please do not feed the ponies. The Bay has almost no teeth and can not eat even hay and has to have a mushy diet and the Shetland is overweight."
When I was there the Bay did seem to be licking the grass...

You could write all I know about Shetland Ponies on the back of a menu.

Okay... that's your lot! Expect an epic Festival post on my return!

8 comments:

  1. I remember thinking as a kid on that walk down the hill in Wellington,
    "why do they have a sculpture that looks like a piece of cheese ?"
    Maybe the cannon was going to be used to shoot some holes through it ?-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "why do they have a sculpture that looks like a piece of cheese ?"
    Perhaps it's to celebrate the inauguration of New Zealand Cheese Month Daz?
    "October is New Zealand Cheese Month!" ~ http://www.nzsca.org.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey King,
    Checkout the comments under this cartoon,

    http://justoutsidetheboxcartoon.com/2013/06/19/its-snowing/#comments

    I think you'll like 'em.

    ReplyDelete