Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

27 July 2013

Subversion TM

Can it only be a couple of weeks ago that I discovered the magic that is Microsoft PhotoSynth? It feels like I've been capturing crazy swirling panoramas forever! I've shared a lot of them on google+. I reckon that I must have bored the pants off everyone on there by now. Ha ha! Now it's your turn!

Today's post is going to be full of pictures and it's not all PhotoSynth related... but this is where I'm going to start!

Surround Meadow

What you are seeing here is a complete 360 degree set of photos, stitched together to form a panorama and stretched top and bottom to make it flat. It's exactly the sort of thing you will see being done when people make a map of the World. Unlike a map of the world , which flattens the view from the outside, PhotoSynth flattens the view from the inside. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense now ;-)


PhotoSynth is an App on my iPhone that allows me to zap my batteries by making surround-pictures. I take about 20 to 30 pictures all about me in different directions and the App stitches them all together. There is a way of make these bubble-vistas available for other people to explore, but I don't know how to do this... and actually, I'm not that bothered about being able to do it just now. Instead, I've been exporting the pictures as straightforward 2D pictures.... warps and all! The resulting pictures have a fantastic surreal feel to them and are sort of epic in nature.

Surround Hollow

Surround Forest Glade

I'll admit that I'm easily bored. One of the things I've been wondering pretty much from day one, is whether I could discover ways to misuse this wonderful little App. What would happen if I was to ignore the instructions?

There's only one way to find out!

I call this little bit of PhotoSynth anarchy... "subversion". Below are some of the results of my experiments in subversion. I joked with +shankti oviedo that we should make "Subversion" a real thing. This could be the start of a new movement in Art. Shankti quite rightly reminded me that subversion is nothing new. Yes it is Shankti - get with the programme! Ha ha.

Here are a few of my more successful attempts at subversion...

Chess Subversion

Puppy Subversion

Fern Subversion

Shankti Subversion

Tree Subversion

Shankti likens this artwork to experiences in Ayahuasca. Check out the video link he showed me... that's some scary tea!

Weed Subversion

Digital SUBVERSION  vs Mirrors

This is a little bit of subversion courtesy of Lord Shankti. Now we're talking!

Okay, let's move onto subversion of a different kind. Last week I became aware of a Spanish photographer by the name of Chema Madoz. I've fallen in love with his art. I see a strong affinity with Magritte's crazy visions in Chema's work and it's obvious to me that he's got a great sense of humour. I'm going to share a couple of his pictures here to give you a feel for what he's all about...

untitled, 1987 Chema Madoz

Chema Madoz

untitled, 1996 Chema Madoz

Chema Madoz

While I'm on a surreal trip, I'm also going to mention another talented artist I discovered recently. Pawel Kuczynski is a Polish artist with a gift for twisting his pictures to give them a satirical edge. Check these out:

Pawel Kuczynski

Pawel Kuczynski

Pawel Kuczynski

Pawel Kuczynski

That's your lot for now. I've got some more pictures to post, but that will have to wait for another time... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment