J-Uke's Grandma bought this trumpet in a charity shop in Pontefract when I took her to the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival in October. She gave it to J-Uke just recently. Unfortunately, it wouldn't produce a note. I joked that it probably had a pea stuck in it. I promised that I'd clean it and we'd see whether I could get it playing. I've never done anything like this before. What a great little project. In typical style, I've captured what I did for you. Did I get it working? Read on...
I did some brief research on how to clean trumpets. Based upon what I was reading, I realised that I needed some specialist kit. Here's the cleaning kit that I ended up ordering. It's got various brushes, oil, grease and a cloth. Once the kit arrived I did some more research only to stumble across the Zachary Music page. Here's what I read:
"The first thing you should know.
Don't clean your trumpet and Don't buy a cleaning kit."
Oh dear! I don't much like the idea of not cleaning a second-hand trumpet. This trumpet was going to get cleaned no-matter what Zachary thinks. ;-)
I'm not sure who's produced this gif, but I include it here because it illustrates the mechanics of a trumpet. I had no idea of the magic in the design!
In the instructions I read for cleaning a trumpet, a lot was made of the valves. They were easy to remove; The top screws to the body of the trumpet. You just unscrew them and then slide the valves out.
Here's another shot of the valves. The three "caps" are from the underside of the body.
The valves got special attention. There are two rings of felt on the top of each. I realised that these mustn't get wet. I soaked the valves in a cup, keeping the felt out of the water.
This is "the snake". I set to the trumpet with the various brushes and cleaned the insides as best I could. I didn't find any peas. ;-)
Here's another look at the trumpet body without the various slides fitted.
Having washed the trumpet, I then dried it. I was beginning to wonder how much fun I was going to have putting all the bits back together. Before I did that though, I knew that I needed to grease and oil it.
J-Uke obliged a quick sound check. He was gutted that he made a mistake. I didn't notice... ;-)
How about this trumpet! I reckon I'll get J-Uke one for Christmas! ;-)
(Photo courtesy of The Truth)