Remember to click G+1 if you like a post... It will make me happy :-)

17 May 2015

Time and Tide - Sneak Peek

I want to give you a little bit of an update on my musical collaborations today. You may remember me talking about the latest one with Stephen Jedlicka and Martin Kirwan. It's been running for a good number of months now and everything under the sun seems to be conspiring to thwart it. Last week I shared a new song on Soundcloud. Today I'll give you a bit more background to the collaboration...


I came up with a name for the collaboration and a tentative name for the album. As of right now we're aiming to record under the name "The Trailmen" which is a reference to our cowboy roots. The album will be called "Broken Bones" and this harks back to a more rough-and-tumble age.

I have been asked about the symbolism of the artwork. Yes, there is a nautical theme, but actually the real story is one of displacement and looking for a better life, which are ideas that I think are just as relevant today as in the era in which this collaboration is set.


Here's a tune I penned called "Time & Tide". I never realised what I had with this tune when I first knocked together the demo, but it has resonated with the band and resulted in a studio version which I think is simply outstanding... but I'll let you be the final judge ;-)

In this preview mix, Stephen has stepped back to give me a chance to croon the vocals. The real magic however, comes in the form of some wonderful guitar-work from Martin Kirwan. The tune is stitched together with a little banjo and there you have it!

This song starts my new comic. We have arrived at a time of change. "The past: that safe haven where all is known." All that is certain is that nothing will ever be the same again. Wow!


And, because I can, here's another preview of the song that started this all off: the wonderful "Gone but not forgotten" where Stephen warns us of the trials of life on the move. This is still a firm favourite of mine. When I listen to this I can't help but picture a crazed gold-prospector bouncing across the desert on a flea-bitten burro. Yeehaw! :-D


There are a handful of other half-finished Trailmen numbers and ideas for new stuff, but for now this collaboration will just have to trickle along in the background.

On a related note: Here's a video with the results of a project that has been taking up approximately 48 hours of Stephen's scarce time. He describes it best:

"ι gυeѕѕ ι мay нave мade ѕoмe υnderѕтaтeмenтѕ.....
тнιѕ alвυм waѕ a 6 day projecт, ѕтarт тo ғιnιѕн. ι worĸ dυrιng тнe day, ғroм 7aм-4pм. ι calcυlaтed тнe тιмe ι ѕpenт on тнιѕ alвυм, and ι worĸed on ιт ғroм ѕтarт тo ғιnιѕн a тoтal oғ 24-32нrѕ.
noт a noтe wrιттen вeғoreнand, тнιѕ тнιng ѕprang υp ғroм тнιn aιr.
ι need мy ғrιendѕ and ғanѕ тo нelp мe ѕpread тнιѕ тнιng.... ιмagιne wнaт ι'м capaвle oғ ιғ ι нad 6 мonтнѕ ιn тнe ѕтυdιo wιтн ѕoмe тop noтcн ѕoғтware...
waιт тιll yoυ lιѕтen on 5.1 ѕυrroυnd. ιтѕ ιncredιвle, тнe qυalιтy wιтн ѕo lιттle тιмe and eqυιpмenт. ι can'т waιт тo ѕee wнaт нappenѕ neхт :)"

I've had a listen and it is a definite hit with me. If you'd like to help Stephen fund his unhealthy love of Dean Guitars then you can do this by buying the album from Bandcamp. Go do it.


Finally, I leave you with a reminder of the collaboration that started me on my slip into cowboy madness. The Wanted EP is still available from a number of places for free. The first song "Knife" just appeared on Episode 711 of Intangible 23. That was a nice reminder for me and one that made me start wondering whether Pancho would be up for one last encore. Could I maybe entice him into a guest slot with the Trailmen. That would be something, wouldn't it! We may need to wait for him to get out of prison first. ;-) Ha ha




No comments:

Post a Comment