Yep... I have more experimentation to share with you today, and once more my trusty table-saw is right at the heart of it. Step this way...
This was the start of my scheming. Check out this wonderful video that shows you how to make long-reach c-clamps. You can never have too many c-clamps... or at least that's how the saying goes. What struck me as I watched this is that this might well be the perfect technique for finishing my Digital Caliper project. Oh no... more to explain...
I'm not going to say too much about digital calipers other than to say that I'll need one when it comes to making my archtop guitar. It's a simple tool that will allow me to measure the thickness of the archtop wood as I carve and cut. I'll do a full post on this when I get there. For now, just pay attention to the picture above. This is a top-of-the-range SPCSM caliper that gives you a bit of an idea what over-engineering can do for you.
My caliper will be nowhere near as arty or clever as this.
Have you joined the dots yet? Yes... as I watched Matthias Wandel creating his c-clamps I began to wonder whether I could use the same technique to make the basic arm needed for a digital caliper. Of course I could! I set immediately schemed up an experiment to see whether I could do it.
And if this proves successful, you can bet that I'll have a go at making some clamps too! Ha ha.
Here's my first effort. Look at the top cuts. I'm so wonky that I've got two to join! The bottom one on the other hand looks pretty good. I tossed the first and cut a third...
The general idea from here is that you glue it and for extra strength stick in a couple of dowels. I haven't glued for this experiment. All I did was to set it square and hold it there with a couple of screws.
Before I go... here's proof that I made it to the end of my spool clamp production run. What a long boring job that was! I think I might have ended up with 27 or 28 or 29 through an inability to count. I'll have to work with what I've got... NO MORE SPOOLS!